New World Tank Build
Table of Contents
New World Tank Build Introduction
Welcome to The Tank Club: New World Tank Build
This is a Tank Build designed for completing PvE content in the New World MMO as a Tank and can be used for completing the hardest content including Mutated level 10 expeditions. For a more Beginner friendly setup take a look at the New World Beginner Tank Build.
There are many ways to Tank in New World with a variety of gear, weapon and ability options. In this guide you’ll find information on some of the most effective Tank setups for completing New World content.
Join The Tank Club Discord for all of your New World Tank help and discussion, and more details on New World Tanking see our New World Tank Guide.
New World Tank Build Attributes
The best general Attribute setup is 300 CON with the rest of your points into STR.
300 CON gives you Grit which is useful to prevent you from getting staggered so you can hold your positions much better while using Light and Heavy Attacks. You need to be using Light and Heavy Attacks a lot as a Tank because it’s basically impossible to permanently block as a Tank in New World, so to maintain your Stamina you need to drop block for large portions of time during combat.
Grit is also very valuable since the an essential perk on your Sword is Refreshing Move which reduces your ability cooldowns from Light and Heavy Attacks, so you’ll want to make use of that, and your other weapons benefit greatly from you doing regular Light and Heavy Attacks also.
- STR is still useful as it increases your damage meaning it’s easier to maintain Threat and Aggro
- DEX can have some use with 150 points you get a cost reduction to Dodging along with increase thrust & crit chance
- CON also gives you higher Max Health, increased armor and reduced damage.
For more advanced Tanks you could use 100-150 CON, 150 DEX and the rest into STR.
New World Tank Build Weapons
Best PvE Tank Weapon Combinations:
Sword & Shield is quite essential for PvE Tanking. It offers too many benefits to you as a Tank which assist you in damage reductions and other things. If you take the Leadership route it’s also offering increased group damage passively.
War Hammer is a great utility weapon. You have Rend and Weaken alongside Crowd Control. It’s really hard to drop this weapon as it has so many benefits for your group and it’s a pretty good damage Tank weapon also.
Greatsword is something you can use to replace the Sword and Shield but it comes at a cost. It’s much more difficult to use it but you will provide more group DPS, it’s more useful for advanced Tanks.
Spear is a great Tank weapon, Warhammer is more useful on adds but the Spear is better for bosses and provides great DPS and large Rend/Weaken which benefit your group. It will require frequent dodging to utilise it properly and you are more of a Damage Tank than anything else.
We have 4 possible setups for Sword and Shield which vary depending on your experience as a Tank. See those in our Sword and Shield Deep Dive Article.
Sword and Shield is an excellent weapon choice for Tanking in New World and should be the main hand weapon of choice for the majority of players. You have access to taunt skills plus a lot of defensive benefits.
This is the Offensive setup where you are gaining the Leadership buff which is giving your group 10% increased damage. This is the best option if you have a good group as you’ll passively buff group DPS.
The way you utilise this build is:
- Initiate combat with Shield Rush – this will give you a base level of threat on all nearby enemies and provide you with some huge defensive benefits as you MUST be using the Fortifying Shield Rush perk on your shield.
- Activate Defender’s Resolve to buff yourself up and AoE taunt all nearby enemies.
- Hit your Reverse Stab to proc the Tactician passive and reduce all Sword cooldowns.
You want to be using Shield Rush as much as possible, keeping a high uptime means you’ll have a huge uptime on Fortify meaning you receive a lot less damage.
Make sure to be using plenty of Light Attacks combined with the Refreshing Move Sword perk, reducing those cooldowns even faster.
If you have a group member using a Spear, then you won’t need to use the Armor Breaker ability because Rend will be covered so use Mighty Gavel instead.
This weapon is an absolute monster for add pulls due to the crowd control benefits and the ability to apply Area of Effect Rend and Weaken debuffs to the enemy.
It’s also generally a good Tank weapon due to the survival and sustain on offer via the Warhammer passives.
To utilise your Warhammer:
- Once you are in an add pull, use Shockwave and this must be used with a Warhammer that has the Sundering Shockwave perk, this will combine an AoE taunt, stagger, stun, Weaken and Rend all into one fantastic skill.
- To keep control of the enemies use Wrecking Ball which smashes them all into the ground to keep them in place longer and buffs you up with Fortify.
- The Rend from Sundering Shockwave is likely to be running out so hit the enemies with Armor Breaker to apply another Rend debuff source.
- Light Attack between every skill cast to proc the Acceleration passive.