Tanking in ESO can be done with any Race with very minimal difference, and it’s not of 100% importance to select whatever race you want. Tank Race can be chosen based on aesthetics if that is the sort of thing you are interested in, or you would pick a Tank Race that fits in with your Tank experience and one that will provide you will some Tank focussed bonuses. Tanking won’t become impossible if you don’t select a Race that is aimed towards Tanking, thing could however be slightly easier if you had chosen a more Tank focused Race, especially at low level and low CP.
The main things to consider when making a Tank and selecting your Tank Race are:
- What content am I looking to Tank? Trials, Dungeons, Overland?
- Are you a beginner or making a new character?
- What level of content am I Tanking? Normal, Veteran, Hardmode, Score-pushing?
- How experienced is my group? Beginner/New, Experienced, Top Tier?
- Will I be using Medium Armor Buff Sets and need more resistances?
- If doing Trials, are you likely to be a Main Tank or Off Tank? If Off Tank will you need to sometimes Hybrid DPS?
- Do I need higher Max Stats? Will I need more Health? Can I sustain?
- If I need sustain what method of gaining back resources will work best for me?
Once you know what sort of thing you need then you can choose a race base on those requirements.
The newer you are to the game and with a lack of Champion Points, the more race will be effective.
For more information on ESO Tank Classes, make sure you check out our Tank Guide section and our Discord.